Health advice and reassurance when you need it most
healthdirect Australia is a 24-hour telephone health advice line. If you have a health concern and you’re not sure what to do, simply call 1800 022 22 and speak with a registered nurse. You’ll get fast, expert advice about any health issue, helping you make an informed decision about how to manage it.
Who can use healthdirect Australia?
If you’re worried about your own health, or the health of a friend or relative, you can call healthdirect Australia at any time of the day or night, no matter where you are in Australia. It’s ideal if someone gets sick or has an accident, and you’re not sure whether you need to go to hospital.
This service is not designed to replace your GP or the Triple Zero (000) emergency service, and does not provide any diagnosis – only advice.
healthdirect Australia is available throughout the ACT, NSW, the Northern Territory, South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia.
How does healthdirect Australia work?
Your call will be answered by a registered nurse, who will follow a set of procedures developed by health professionals. This includes asking for some basic personal details to ensure they give the most appropriate advice.
The nurse can connect you to an emergency service if necessary, or to a GP for further medical advice in the evenings and on weekends.
Medical professionals monitor the service to maintain the highest quality at all times. Your details will be recorded in your confidential medical file.
What if it’s an emergency?
Please call Triple Zero (000) immediately if you think you need an ambulance.
Other useful services
- If you need health information, you can also search online at HealthInsite
- If you’re looking for a medical service in your area, search the National Health Services Directory
- If you need specific advice on pregnancy, birth or caring for your baby, you could also call the Pregnancy, Birth and Baby helpline on 1800 882 436 or visit the website.
- If you need specific advice on mental illness, you could also visit mindhealthconnect
Call healthdirect Australia on 1800 022 222
*Calls from landlines are free, mobile charges may apply.
- If you have a speech or hearing impairment, please call through the National Relay Service on 1800 555 677
- If you need an interpreter, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask to be transferred to healthdirect Australia.